Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I Hate Sleep Training

Right now, the guys are in their cribs, crying.  :(

I really thought I wouldn't have to do this -- that they would magically start napping at regular, synchronized times.  They kind of magically started sleeping through the night, so . . .

No such luck.  They still nap 3-4 times a day, for 10-20 minutes at a time, often not at the same time as each other, and must be rocked to sleep.  I love rocking them to sleep.  Sure the housework was NEVER getting done, and hubby was having to cook dinner every night, but it was okay and temporary, right?

Well, two things have happened.
One, I got some work, and it involves phone calls that can't have babies running around in the background.
Two, the guys are getting crankier and crankier, and I think it's exhaustion.  Most babies at this time, from what I understand, are taking two naps of 1-2 hours a day.  My guys, I believe, just aren't getting enough sleep.

I have turned the volume down on the monitor so their wails sound less intense but I can still hear them.  I am also trying to mute my own crying.

I can see them in the video monitor.  I put them down when their eyes were droopy, after rocking them for about ten minutes.  They played for a while but now are angry. 

I know from experience that I hate how it feels when they give up and fall asleep.  I feel like they are learning that Mom won't always be there to comfort them, and I don't want them to learn that lesson ever. 

I know this is best for all of us.  I really tried to not do this, but I suppose there's a reason that everyone does.  Ugh.  Hopefully it will only take a couple of days, right?

2 comments:

  1. You poor thing. It sounds awful. I always think that with sleep training, as in all aspects of parenting, only do what you are comfortable with. If you really are stressing about the 'controlled crying' technique, try something else e.g. pick up/put down, progressive waiting (CIO).

    They do eventually grow out of most 'bad sleep habits' (in my experience) but it can take a long time (like 3.5 years in my first child's case). If you need a dramatic change in a short period of time though, it always involves tears (yours and theirs :)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is getting better. I still feel like a heel when they give up and go to sleep. I have learned to shower during their morning forced nap time. Our video monitor is hooked up to our bedroom tv, so I have only to poke my head out of the shower to see them. The time seems to pass more quickly, and sometimes I actually get to shave my legs!

    I have decided that I am glad I waited as long as I did. I had always heard it is better to do sleep training young, but a short month ago they would just wail the whole time if I put them down while they were awake. Now, they play for a while then cry for a while then play again. It is less heart-wrenching. It is about time to rescue them for the morning. K did not sleep at all, but H is dozing. Now the challenge will be to keep a very cranky K awake after lunch, practically ensuring everyone will get a good nap after the 2:30 'snack' bottle.

    Thanks for the kind words. I will get through this, and I think it will be good for the guys because now they generally do get a nice long nap in the afternoon and seem much less stressed as the evening wares on.

    ReplyDelete