Tuesday, September 14, 2010

First Birthday Party

We had our first birthday party this weekend! The approach of turning one has stirred up a lot of emotions and memories but right now I want to focus on the PAR-TAY.



We knew this would be our only chance to pick a theme that didn't involve cartoons or something so we picked an island theme. We did this mainly so we would have an excuse to dress the guys up in Hawaiian shirts and it was so worth it! They were adorable.

In the days leading up to the party I was busy ordering party decorations and checking on the guest list. I was also cleaning for company, finally cleaning up the flowerbed, accessorizing the second bathroom, and doing something the boys had never seen before - dusting. At the end of it all the house looked pretty much the same as it always does - toys strewn about and pet hair on the furniture.

I also BAKED. I barely cook and never bake. I have fond memories, however, of the cakesy mother made for me. Ever since we started trying to get pregnant seven years ago, I have been dreaming of the day I would be making birthday cakes for my own kids. I made a cake shaped like a tiki god. I thought it would be easy because it's essentially round but it took two days and was so much work! It was worth it though.  Part of it was strawberry cake with a strawberry jam like filling.  I thought that was really good.  The other part of it was peanut butter cake with banana pudding filling.  That one came out a little odd.  We were left with a lot of leftover cake, but I'm telling myself it's just because people were full on burgers and not that they weren't any good.  (I chose to be a snob and make from scratch.)  After all the testing and tasting, I don't care if I see another cake ever again.  The leftovers are in the freezer.  We may pull it out on the anniversary of our 'going home from the NICU' days.


We did a private cake smashing on the actual birthday which was the day before the party.


The day of the party, many friends we had lost touch with showed up.  Some had kids of their own, so there were more than I had anticipated.  Thinking some kids might arrive and being hopelessly out of touch, I had bought some paddleballs and some bubbles.  The kids were more interested in our Guitar Hero, but then were too shy to play.  The grownups chatted while Hubby grilled burgers and dogs, and the boys wound up going to sleep for a little while.

My job before the party was to make sure the guys got a full nap, and in that I failed spectacularly!  I think they could feel my excitement because they would doze off a little but not actually fall asleep.  Finally we all got up out of the rocker, I dressed them and started filling balloons. 

Much later than expected we finally got around to the cake cutting.  The guys had just woken from their nap and were a little dazed and obviously confused by everyone standing still staring at them.  The cake smashing was therefore much less dramatic than the one the night before.  Eventually things wound down as people left to go watch the game. 

Only a couple of people got offended, and neither was my fault.  One of hubby's friends got mad because he was outside showing someone his motorcycle when we did the cake and we didn't think to go get him.  Hubby's mom showed up two hours late and was upset that the burgers were already put away.  Really, though, it turns out she was upset over something Hubby's sister did that had nothing to do with us. 

We managed to not do the gifr opening at the party, and I don't think anyone minded.  We had asked for no gifts, but honestly we do appreciate what people brought. 

It was a fun day, but I was super glad for it to just be the four of us on Sunday, and to get us back on our regular schedule on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Those Hawaiian shirts are precious! And the cake looks great, too!

    We did a polka-dot "theme" for the girls' first birthday. I'm hoping I have one more year before we have to do Dora or Princess. :) We basically did an open house-type set-up, where people could come and go, and it worked well. I don't know if we'll be able to get away with that again in January for the second birthday, but it was really enjoyable for me. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a lot of fun! The cake looks delish!

    ReplyDelete