Friday, September 17, 2010

Peeing with a Baby on my Lap

Surely this is not only something that happens with multiples.  I am certain there must be some circumstance that causes this to happen in households with singletons as well.  I can't think for the life of me what those circumstances would be but. . .

Last night I found myself peeing while holding a baby on my lap.

How did this happen?  The boys have gotten to the age where the sound of one crying can wake the other up.  This is especially likely to happen close to morning.  I can handle being up in the night with one baby, but 3 a.m. with two wailing children, each setting the other off just as sleep is almost achieved, it's just disheartening.  It is to be avoided at all costs.

This is why, at 3:30 in the morning, when I heard H suddenly start crying I LEAPED out of bed and ran down the hall to retrieve him.  Now, usually when H wakes in the night, all it takes to make him fall asleep again is to pick him up.  He generally dozes  off almost immediately.  There are some nights, however, when he just seems to find himself to be Awake.  He is perfectly happy as long as you don't try to put him down.  Unfortunately, this was one of those nights.  I rushed into their room, switched off his monitor with my foot as I scooped him up out of his crib.  He immedately quieted.  A small whimper and shuffle from K set my heart aflutter but he just went back to snoozing.  H, however, was grinning at me, wide-eyed.  I knew then that I was in for at least a half hour of convincing him it was nighttime.  This was also when I realized how badly I had to pee. 

There I stood, in the dim light of the nursery, bobbing from foot to foot in an odd hybrid of baby rocking and pee-pee dance.  At one point H laid his head down on me and I attempted to lay him in his crib, but he bounced up as if on springs, looked at me and I could see the bellow lurking just below the surface.  I scooped him up again, whispering soothing sounds and humming. 

Now it was an emergency.  I couldn't put H down without waking K.  I didn't want to wake Hubby because he had to get up in a couple of hours to go to work.  So, I took H into the bathroom with me.  Here I couldn't put him down because they love to play in the bathroom and once they start exploring any attempt to remove them is met with a full-on hissy fit.  Besides, I was doing everything I could to keep him feeling snuggled and settled so he'd sleep.

So, yes, I held him through the whole event.  I was deeply grateful for three things:
  1. I was wearing a nightgown.  I'm not sure I could have managed pajama pants (TMI?)
  2. I keep hand sanitizer at all sinks.  Much easier than washing under this circumstance.
  3. Recently K became enamored of the night light in the hallway, so I had to move it into the bathroom. 
Seriously, the things I do sometimes.  I do hope he's not scarred.

No comments:

Post a Comment