Monday, November 15, 2010

My Preemies

My preemies were born at 27 weeks gestation, weighing 2lbs 11oz and 2lbs 8oz. 

My preemies were not able to meet me in the delivery room. We met a few hours later, once they were stabilized. 

My preemies spent the first day of their lives hooked up to a ventilator, and their first couple of months on other oxygen support. 

My preemies spent the first three months of their lives in a hospital. 

My preemies were so delicate that lifting them too much during a diaper change could lead to brain hemorrhage. 

My preemies frequently stopped breathing and had heart rate slowdowns requiring stimulation to wake them up. 

My preemies were unable to eat at first, and were fed through an IV. Eventually they graduated to tube feedings, then bottle feedings. 

My preemies could not regulate body temperature. A sensor taped to their skin signalled their isolettes to warm up or cool down. 

My preemies did not meet each other until they were a couple of months old. 

My preemies endured regular blood tests, transfusions, infections, skin that was constantly irritated or broken from monitors and such. 

My babies are now fourteen months old and are within normal height and weight ranges. 

My babies like sweet potatoes, tuna, hamburger, banana, plums, and cheese sandwiches. 

My babies feed themselves with their hands and are learning to use spoons. 

My babies love music. 

My babies chase each other up and down the hallway. 

My babies occasionally get a little rash from swimming or from playing in the grass. 

My babies have the best laughs. 

My babies are walking. WALKING. 

I can't pinpoint exactly when they stopped being preemies, but I know I know longer think of them as such.

2 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post! It's amazing to realize how far they have come in such a short time, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your lists. It is amazing how fast and far they have come. Thank you for being part of the Fight for Preemies!

    ReplyDelete